Tuesday, November 24, 2009

misquitoes and a "turkey"

We've been in our place for 10 days now. And we are loving every minute of it. HOWEVER, there's something that creeps in the middle of the night and awakes me and Sienna. For some reason they do not like Jacques' italian skin, but they love ours! Misquitoes are a 5th roomate in this household. I have no idea where they come from but they are definately hungry. Poor Sienna, she was eaten by some mean blood sucking misquitoes. She has a bite right on the tip of her nose. We tried different things to no causatum (did I use that word right?). They keep waking us up during their peak feeding hours (dusk til dawn). Two nights ago I woke up and couldn't believe these little shits are not only messing with me and my daughter, they are messing with my head. It's a misquito paranoia. How can someone lying right next to me not be touched, (maybe one or two bites) and myself get 20+ bites all over??? I know, I know, I'm sweet and so is Sienna. But I had to get to the root of the problem. Some say it's your CO2 levels, others say O blood types, sweat, etc.

It was 3:30 am, the whole house was awake. I googled how to get rid of misquitoes. "clearing the yard of debris" was not going to cut it. Our house is on the edge of a valley, a thick, lush valley with plenty of places for misquitoes nestings. I found they cannot fly against wind more than 15mph, sweet. I made a list of things we need to get rid of these dang skeeters. Oscillating fan (check). Jacques said he and JB used to use misquito coils in their room in Barbados (check), our dear friends offered us a clip on fan for baby girls crib (check), MISQUITO NET for crib (check) and finally, some family care off bug spray (check). Can you believe we spent $60 bucks to get those things outta our room?? That is over 30 pinchos! WTF?! We have checked all the screens, some look a little old but no obvious holes. They are starting to make us think they come from the tiolet, sinks, shower SOMEWHERE...SOMEHOW. Alas, I have good news! Last night was a good night. We put Sienna to bed, misquito net, clip-on fan and some long jammies. I said a lil prayer that she will not wake up and have a good nights rest. Jacques and our neighbor downstairs taped up our water reserve half drunk (that had a hole in it). I was convinced a bazillion skeeters lived in there. After pouring another rum and coke we had to put together this fan. If we only had a video camera of me trying to put this thing together in espanol. My spanish is not great but I generally know what's going on. Nope, Jacques took over and did his "man duties". It took me longer to "read" the directions than it did for him to put it together. Comedy. We retired to bed LATE (around 11ish) and SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! I don't notice any new bites on myself or baby girl. So either the oscillating fan, clip-on fan, coil or misquito net worked! Gosh, I really hate misquitoes with a passion.

Tomorrow I am blogging about Thanksgiving and our "turkey". Please stay tuned. I am craving some of my Mom's bangin pumpkin roll though!!! YUMMY!!

1 comment:

  1. Packages have arrived in Rincon. You can pick them up today, Tuesday 11/24! I'll write back when I get a chance. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete