Sunday, January 17, 2010

haiti


a beach in haiti that is maintained...
I did a post about Haiti the night I found out of the 7.0 magnitude earthquake. I have since taken it down. My blog cracked jokes "say a prayer for us" for the following day because we would be in the water on the beach (...frolicking in the sun with our water bottles, full bellies and healthy lifestyle). Screw us and our lifestyle. Save ALL your prayers for this impoverished country. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the capital and surrounding areas of Haiti have been completely flattened. Aerial pictures looks like someone came with a bulldozer and demolished EVERYTHING. Disease, malnutrition, starvation, lack of water and medical needs were concerns BEFORE the earthquake. The people of Haiti have had it bad and just when things may have been starting to look up, it all falls down.


In college, I always gravitated towards Haiti. Cultural studies, intercultural communications, global awareness, etc I found myself wanting to know more about Haiti. How could the third largest island in Caribbean be looked over and through so much? There was so much potential (and still could be). As I remember: it was the first nation colonized in Latin America, rebellion from the French credited Haiti to be the first black-run nation and the only nation born of such a slave revolt, once was a lush island with tropical forests framed by white-sand beaches. Devastation from HIV/AIDS, political corruption, lack of education, medical attention (and attention in general) Haiti just couldn’t make it to it’s feet. Lush forests are non existent from the need of wood for fuel and cooking. Lack of a sanitation station (garbage) has littered the beautiful beaches and polluted the water. Seemed Haiti was just too big of a problem for the world to deal with and now it is just screaming for help. Hopefully the world will not ignore these screams and come to those in severe deprivation.

With the shock and more bad news to come I hope that Haiti can get back on it’s feet. Hoping that the help will stay with them for a long time to come. This poor, poor nation has been knocked down once again, hopefully to come back stronger than before. Only time will tell.
My thoughts go to everyone that has a connection to this nation.
Mom, fill me in on your student’s families, my heart bleeds for them. Xoxo.

I have donated money to Farmville to be able to plant white corn in honor of Haiti.
If you’re not a farmvillian here are some other sites to donate
 https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=197&hbc=1?ref=main-menu
www.clintonfoundation.org/haitiearthquake
https://secure.unicefusa.org/site/Donation2?df_id=6680&6680.donation=form1


a beach that is NOT maintained...
where the water meets the land...there is trash

1 comment:

  1. let me just site..i refreshed my brain via. www.wikipedia.com

    ReplyDelete